James Oldnall is a commercial litigator specialising in claims against large institutional defendants. He has an in-depth understanding of disputes involving financial markets and products, private equity, hedge funds, data protection, shareholder and companies’ issues, fraud, and mis-selling.
James forged his career at London’s leading litigation houses—Freshfields, Clyde & Co, and Mishcon de Reya—before establishing Milberg’s London office. He has worked on many of the UK’s highest profile and industry-recognised commercial disputes, frequently appearing in national and international press.
In 2016, James Oldnall had two cases named in The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases of The Year. One of those cases involved a claim worth more than £2bn against Citibank, arising from a private equity house’s acquisition of music label EMI. The other case was a claim against Barclays on behalf of a small business owner who had been mis-sold a product alongside thousands of others. After a hearing on that case, James was named The Times Lawyer of the Week.
In the same year, James launched the ground breaking data protection claim Lloyd v Google. As he told the Financial Times, the case is an important step in the economic reckoning of consumers’ personal data, which historically there has been limited protection for.
James achieved all of this before he turned 40. With the founding of Milberg London, James looks to build on his prior successes as a commercial litigator, particularly in the area of group litigation, which he views as essential for holding corporate giants such as Google to account.
Due to changes to the UK litigation landscape over the last decade, including more money coming into the market, technology, and procedural innovation, James believes that more group actions can be successfully pursued. He feels the time is right to establish a forward-looking UK law practice that reflects the growing importance of group actions.
Under James’ leadership, Milberg London’s initial focus will be on group actions involving emissions cheating, securities litigation, financial products mis-selling, and data breaches.
- LLM/BA Law, The University of Auckland, 1996 - 2001
Admitted as a solicitor
- London, 2009
- Managing Partner, Milberg London LLP, Present
- Legal Director and Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP, 2011 – 2020
- Senior Associate and Legal Director, Clyde & Co LLP, 2007 – 201
- Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, 2007
- Articles and Publications
- "Data protection claims: a green light for representative actions" PLC Magazine October 2019 (co-authored with Nicola Vinovrški)
- The Age of Consent - Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation (2010), volume 25 , issue 2 , p. 89-94